Autumn is a glorious season. The leaves are changing on the trees into a riotous explosion of color, squirrels frantically bury seeds, the smell of damp earth rises up from the land and the nights gain coolness day by day and mornings are often fog filled and drowsy.
We seem to feel the primal call within our bones. We gather for ritual celebrations, whether they are modern versions such as afternoon football games, and pumpkin patch adventures or celebrations that harken to a more ancient beat of the drum such as Halloween gatherings or lighting backyard fire pits and telling stories.
There is an energetic shift that we feel on an instinctual level. A gathering in of our resources, such as preparing hearty foods, layering our clothing and putting our gardens to sleep. All of the outward expenditure that Summer requires begins to soften.
Self care is important all year long but especially during the changing of the seasons. We need to give our bodies and our spirits a little extra time to get into the groove and rhythm of the change.
5 Essential Things You Need To Do To Transition Into Autumn
1. Go to bed earlier. Yes, there is often a time change involved with this part of the year and besides, it gets dark so much earlier. Try for 30-60 minutes earlier than usual. It helps to set your circadian rhythm and will give a boost to your immune system and reduce anxiety.
Bonus: Getting sleep is highly anti-aging.
2. Start a Dream Journal. Buy a beautiful journal and keep it by the bed. Write down any dreams you remember upon waking. Look for patterns, omens, signs and insights. If you don't remember your dreams, not a problem! Use your dream journal for daydreams, fantasies, intentions for the season, poems or sayings you love.
Bonus: Stick with it for 21 days in a row and you will have a new and insightful habit!
3. Drink and eat warming teas and herbs. Think cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, cardamon, turmeric, cayenne. Basically, all the ingredients in a Chai Tea. These can also be used in all sorts of cooking.
Bonus: Make a thick hot chocolate with coconut milk and cinnamon and a dash of cayenne. (Swoon).
4. Make an Autumn Essential Oil Blend: Make a blend of Frankincense, Fir, Sandalwood, Cypress, Vetiver and Lemon in a base carrier oil of your choice. I like almond oil or Jojoba. Rub into your temples, your wrists and the bottom of your feet.
Bonus: This will help tend to your spirit during transition and help strengthen your immune system.
5. Move your body. Take up a new ritual of movement this season. The darker and colder days tend to draw us inward but we need to keep moving our bodies for physical, emotional and spiritual health. Try a 5 minute yoga practice upon waking, begin to walk each morning for 10 minutes as soon as you rise, listen to sacred music with a deep drum beat and dance like the light being you are!
Bonus: Less stress, greater joy and a deeper connection to self.
Many Autumnal Blessings to You!!
Lark Fox is a Priestess, an herb wyfe, Seer, intuitive healer, writer and ceremonialist.
For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please check with your healthcare provider before using the information on this site.
All content, writing and photographs (except where otherwise noted), are the sole property of folklore and fern and Lark Fox. Content may not be used without written permission from Lark Fox and may not be used for your business or any other purpose without consent
Privacy: Your information will be kept private at all times. We do not sell your information.